Winter months in Savannah are upon us. In fact, the months of October through February have a history of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances happening during those months. To understand the safety of your home, schedule an annual furnace service now, before the middle of winter is here.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners know that their furnace can give off deadly carbon monoxide gas, but over half don't do anything to prevent it from happening.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be very harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be mistaken for the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that consumes fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the opportunity to release carbon monoxide if the system is not working correctly or if it wasn’t installed appropriately.
Your annual furnace service company can help identify any possible issues. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Make sure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Inspect for any other out-of-place things that might compromise your safety
- Help you find any additional areas where you may want to end up adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is working at its peak efficiency, helping give you peace-of-mind that you’re in an ideal spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to keep in mind that many furnace manufacturers could require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the pros at Coastal Service Experts can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 912-208-2399 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the colder months.