Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other space to your house, being comfortable in your new area throughout the year is important. However, they can make a unique problem for contentment. This is since adding ductwork is expensive. And that your heating and cooling system may not be able to handle the higher load, as it was sized without taking the addition into consideration.
One of the most affordable solutions is to add a mini-split. This system offers energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork required. Find out more about mini-splits and how installing one in your addition can be a great fit.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Work
A ductless mini-split, as they’re much like ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have relied on for decades.
Heat pumps are highly energy efficient because they shift heat to make your room cozier. In actuality, many have earned ENERGY STAR® certification, which may make you eligible for additional rebates and decrease your heating and cooling expenses for years to come.
Another unique feature includes zoned heating and cooling. As each room usually has its own indoor unit, you can set your preferred temperature from room to room. As an instance, a mini-split AC is particularly helpful if you have a room with special temperature needs, such as a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Space
Getting a mini-split system is worth it for areas that don’t have ductwork. Here are a couple reasons why it’s smarter than installing ductwork and relying on your existing heating and cooling system.
- Extending ductwork is expensive. Installing ductwork in your new addition can be expensive. Although the precise cost will depend on your unique situation, it be as much as thousands of dollars.
- Your current home comfort system might become overwhelmed. When your present heating and cooling system was installed, it was based on the square footage of your home prior to the addition. This could stress your system and make it fail faster.
- Your comfort may decrease. As your heating and cooling system is sized for exact square footage, your comfort may be reduced if your system has to take care of a wider area. Your heating and cooling may be less efficient, and your energy costs could skyrocket due to the system needing to switch on more frequently.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Install
Like more common systems, mini-splits are available in various sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most frequently installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you partner our Experts at Coastal Service Experts, we’ll help you select the right size for your new addition. And your wallet.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can create huge energy savings over its life span, which can be 20 years or greater when correctly maintained. ENERGY STAR says installing one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in contrast to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Coastal Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From taking care of all your questions and helping you choose the recommended model to supplying Expert mini-split installation, Coastal Service Experts can handle all your mini-split needs. If you’re considering a home addition or recently wrapped one up, we can provide assistance. Contact us at 912-208-2399 right away to request a free consultation and estimate.