Hearing strange noises when your air conditioner is on? There's probably something wrong with your AC. If you ignore it, it could lead to major—and expensive—issues later. We're going to help you find out what’s occurring with your air conditioner and what you can do to fix it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling - Gurgling generally indicates a problem with your refrigerant line. If you can't determine where the noise is emanating from, that's alright. A professional can help find out where this noise is occurring. You can read more information on our gurgling noises guide.
- Crackling - Crackling could result from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will generate a noise outside your house. Aging ductwork can create noise inside your house. Read our crackling noise guide for more information.
- Hissing - Hissing can be caused by a damanged refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor. Check out our hissing noise guide for more information.
- Buzzing - Buzzing is probably an electrical issue. See our buzzing noise guide for further information.
- Clicking - Clicking can hint you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned. You can see more information in our clicking noise guide.
- Pulsating - Pulsating can be due to a loose part. Go through our pulsating noise guide for more information.
- Loud Noise - A noticeable noise from your external unit can mean an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler. Read our loud noise guide for additional information.
- Humming - Humming can arise from fan motor issues or a damaged relay switch. Check out our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find additional information about common air conditioning problems on energy.gov
Should I keep using my system when it’s making a noise?
There are some cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It's difficult to answer this question without examining your system.
Usually, we recommend turning the unit off and bringing in a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you think there's a problem with your system. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected spend, it's smart to get problems corrected right away. Contacting a professional could help reduce future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please fill out the form below for a free, in-home consultation.