Hearing strange noises when your air conditioner is on? There's likely something wrong with your AC. If you ignore it, it could lead to extensive—and expensive—problems down the road. We're going to help you figure out what’s occurring with your air conditioner and what you can do to change it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling - Gurgling usually indicates a problem with your refrigerant line. If you can't determine where the noise is emanating from, that's alright. An expert can help find out where this noise is occurring. You can read more information on our gurgling noises guide.
- Crackling - Crackling could result from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will generate a noise outside your house. Old ductwork can create noise inside your house. Check out our crackling noise guide for more information.
- Hissing - Hissing can be caused by a damanged refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor. Check out our hissing noise guide for more on that.
- Buzzing - Buzzing is likely an electrical issue. Check out our buzzing noise guide for further information.
- Clicking - Clicking can hint you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned. You can see more information in our clicking noise guide.
- Pulsating - Pulsating can be due to a loose part. Go through our pulsating noise guide for more information.
- Loud Noise - A noticeable noise from your outdoor unit can mean an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler. Read our loud noise guide for more information.
- Humming - Humming can be related to fan motor issues or a damaged relay switch. Check out our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find more information about common air conditioning issues on energy.gov
Should I keep using my system when it’s making a noise?
There are a few cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It's hard to answer this question without examining your system.
Usually, we recommend turning the unit off and bringing in a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you think there's something wrong with your unit. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected spend, it's smart to get problems corrected right away. Calling a professional could help reduce future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please fill out the form below for a free, in-home consultation.