When rough weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm is over, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair expert to check your system post-storm, they can probably provide you with good news that your prep were worth the time.
At Coastal Service Experts, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for threatening weather, and time likely will not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets strewn about during threatening weather. Just ensure you have turned the system totally off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a protected place so that they don’t get strewn about during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to go back outdoors, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Coastal Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and decide whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Savannah, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other issues that might come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for threatening weather in Savannah or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at or schedule an appointment with Coastal Service Experts through our online scheduler.