Tips to Safely Heat Your Home This Winter

November 02, 2016

Each year over 20,000 people go to the ER as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.

Carbon monoxide, as confirmed by the CDC, is produced by stoves, gas ranges, boilers, furnaces, and fireplaces so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning increases during the colder months when people are trying to heat their homes. To help keep your family safe, Coastal Service Experts is here with a couple tips to safety heat your home.

 

  • Put in a CO detector on all floors of your home and swap out the batteries yearly.
  • Keep all potential sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, a minimum of three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
  • Before igniting a fire in the fireplace, always check to ensure the chimney damper is open and unclogged.
  • Don’t leave portable heaters or fireplaces alone. Power off space heaters and make sure all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before leaving the area.
  • Space heaters should always be positioned on the floor, and on a hard, fire-resistant surface, like concrete or tile. Keep young ones and animals away from space heaters.
  • When purchasing a new space heater, buy a model that shuts off automatically if the heater falls over.
  • Never use a stove to warm your home.
  • Have fireplaces, chimneys, gas or oil furnaces, and coal and wood stoves professionally inspected and cleaned every year.

 

The ideal thing you can do for your furnace is to ensure it’s not only ready to keep your home warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your furnace tune-up. During your furnace tune-up, Coastal Service Experts will check to ensure your heating equipment is operating safely with a total multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 912-208-2399 today and learn how you can save on a fall tune-up through November 25th.

Contact Us