One of the most common issues that we encounter at Coastal Service Experts in Savannah is filthy air filters. They may seem like a very insignificant piece of the overall home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us control comfort is a lot bigger than most homeowners notice. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a filthy air filter can cause a number of problems for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you neglect to switch out your air filter? Here are a just a handful of the side effects you could encounter:
- Reduced airflow. This is easily the biggest issue you’ll note when your home’s air filter is severely clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being changed, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this hinders air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working quite a bit harder to give you the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is operating harder as a result of a filthy air filter, you also run the chance of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s operating overtime to leave you with cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a probability if your air filter goes neglected for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something quits working or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off more than it should. When your system short cycles, it could overheat or break down from the added work, possibly causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A shorter equipment lifecycle
- Lower energy efficiency
- Diminished air quality
- More dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last switched out your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to get around any potential damage that might come with a dirty air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the variety of air filters we have, give Coastal Service Experts a call at 912-208-2399 or schedule an appointment online.