Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect There are lots of potential gases that could exist in your home. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors that come from household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But none of these gases are as harmful as carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is potentially a matter of life and death, so it should not be treated lightly. Part of the reason it is so dangerous is because the gas is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can manuveur its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on how big the leak is and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can lead to death very quickly, or the toxic gas could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things. There is no reason to risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here are some recommended action items to protect yourself and your family: If you do not have a working carbon monoxide detector in your home, call Coastal Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Savannah to purchase one. Ask us about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, check or replace the batteries regularly. Testing should be done every 90 days, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or experience flu-like or other symptoms described above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps you can be certain to receive alerts if there is any sign of carbon monoxide. Take the necessary steps and call Coastal Service Experts in Savannah at 912-208-2399 to learn more.